Friday 30 May 2014

Daily Outfit: Buried Treasure

Growing up, I always had a tendency towards buried treasure.

When I got something that I loved, I would squirrel it away safely and try to make it last for as long as possible. For example, after seeing a particularly risqué add for Gucci Envy and becoming obsessed with the label, my mother bought me one of those 5mil perfume samples. This lasted me for four years, and I think that I still have the original bottle somewhere to this day.

The only area where my buried treasure hoarder mentality has not applied, ever, is with food.

For this daily outfit, however, I’m wearing an item of buried treasure:


Navy pinstriped merino blazer – Rembrant Sartorial, thrifted
Pale blue button-down Oxford shirt – Polo Ralph Lauren, thrifted
Navy and cream nautical print silk scarf – Bally, thrifted
Black leather belt – Raphael Steffens
Black resin 3D Dimension tapered jeans – G-star
Black leather military boots – Zu Shoes

I found this beautiful silk scarf for $5 in an Op Shop across the border in Queanbeyan. No one working in the store must have recognised it for the genuine article, but it is obvious in the weight of the scarf, the quality of the printing, and the beautifully hand-rolled and stitched edges.

The scarf is absolutely the genuine article, and as such I have kept it hidden away and only worn it publically once.


Frankly, this is insane. There’s no point it hiding the beautiful scarf away for fear it will get ruined, and not enjoying the privilege that is wearing it around my neck. As such, I decided that I’m going to make more of an effort to wear it, and to stop treating my beautiful things like treasures to be buried away.


No comments:

Post a Comment